Tuesday, June 19, 2012

A Fighting Chance

I always loved underdog stories. Tales where the lift;e guy wins. Those stories where there are terrible and near impossible odds to overcome, and somehow, they little guy comes through.

I'm starting to realize that this is how I see my life lately. I have had kind of a martyr view of my life, and seeing it as as series of dragons put in my path that I have no hope in slaying. All sorts of things. Work. School. Evangelism. The distance with Sara. Literally everything.

And it's kind of interesting; putting your life in to that kind of perspective. Things feel so impossible. You feel so small. I think this is an amazing thing. Too often it's easy to get full of yourself, and not really think about the fact that you are a very tiny speck. Eternal perspective is lost. The current event becomes bigger news than the main headline.

See, I realize that when I do this, it's easier to remember God's presence. I can see that my struggles are absolutely massive, and cannot in any way be swept under the rug. I have no choice but to turn to God, because without him, I'd be totally destroyed.

I love feeling like I can't do something. I love being told that I can't. It is better motivation for me than anything else in the world. A good friend once told me that I would never be a great musician. I may never be famous, but I proved him way wrong. Not being egotistical, but I'm not half bad at music. It's all because he said 'Bet you can't'. But too often I start to lean on my own understanding, and not of Christ's.

For example: I'm currently writing my second CD. The first one, while not the best quality, was pretty good, because I prayed over the lyrics, and tried to make something that was God breathed through me. The second one, lyrically, I was basing on my own emotion, my own wants, and not really giving God a seat in the creative planning. Since I have, I've been amazed. I feel like his words are taking to my songs.

I feel like, when given challenges, it's so easy to try and take them on our own. But next time, play the underdog. Put yourself in those shoes. It may surprise you what you find. 

No comments:

Post a Comment